Every construction worker and DIY enthusiast must be aware that a laser level is a tool that everyone must have. Even the uses of a laser level vary, depending on the capabilities and the person who is handling it. Some of you might wonder how to use laser level for grading. The use of the laser level is unavoidable in the construction industry, especially when it comes to setting grade.
Generally, grading is a process that is done prior to any renovation or renovation works. Grading is also performed to even out the surface and to provide a firm or sturdy foundation. The right and proper grading allows workers to restrict the flow of water running towards the newly built foundation and does not allow standing the flowing water in the property. Hence, it secures the surrounding of the foundation at the same time. If the foundations have already existed before, grading is perfect to be performed in order to enhance the current drainage system.
In projecting how to use laser level for grading in construction projects, of course, when it comes to establishing grades for both landscaping and buildings, you cannot avoid using a laser level. It is crucial to shoot grades properly. Moreover, construction projects such as foundations, pipe laying, grading, and foundations heavily depend on the accuracy of the shooting grades result. The fault in the results is a serious threat to the foundation. Therefore, a laser level is very useful for construction worker in order to achieve an accurate level. A high accuracy and powerful rotary level suit grade shooting the best since it can be used in many outdoor construction projects. By relying on this device construction workers can grade accurately, effectively, and quickly.
Before talking about how to use laser level for grading, you will need to get a few things aside from the laser level. You might want to ask for an extra hand to help you in achieving a perfect reading.
- Laser level
- Grade rod (leveling rod)
- Laser detector
Best Product For Grading
Bosch GRL400HCK Exterior Self-Leveling Rotary Laser Complete Kit with Receiver, Tri-Pod, Grade Rod, and Hard Case
Step by Step
How to Grade Using a Rotary Laser Level
The following steps show you on how to use laser level for grading.
- Put the tripod on a firm and dry ground on the site to avoid any movement. Spread the legs of the tripod, make sure that the distance from each legs is equal. Press the tripod’s pin so that it will not trip over and break the laser level. The tripod has to be set up firmly on the ground in order to achieve a more accurate result. You have to use a good tripod since a low quality tripod will hinder you from achieving the same amount of accuracy with your laser level. Also, make sure that there is no heavy machinery operating at the moment you are about to grade the site. The vibrations caused by the heavy machinery are able to create a problem for both the tripod and the laser level.
- Check whether the tripod is stable enough, then, mount the laser level on the tripod before turning it on. Only turn on your laser level when you are sure that the tripod is stable and the laser level is mounted perfectly. If you use a manual leveling laser level, you can use the adjustment screws to move the bubbles of the level to the center. Meanwhile, if you use a self leveling laser level, wait for a few minutes for the level to self-level.
- Ask your assistant to help you in getting the height that will be used for grading. Note that this part is the most important jobs in grading the site; make sure that you are careful in doing this step. Use a measuring tape to find out the height of the grade. Place the bottom of the grade rod at the height that you want for the grade.
- After that, shoot the laser beam at the determined point. With the help of your assistant, adjust the position of the laser detector so that it connects with the laser beam.
- On this point, sometimes, you need to move the laser detector up and down until a constant beeping sound is heard. A constant beeping sound notifies you that you have correctly located the beam. You have to keep trying to locate the beam if you get an interrupted beep.
- Set the grade rod at different locations at the construction site, depending both on the site and on the grading that you need. You probably need to lift the rod or even dig the ground to achieve the original reading.
- The bottom part of your grade rod shows the lowest level of the grade. You may use a stick to mark the spot. After that, insert the stick inside the ground to project the height that you wish to achieve for the grading.
The key in securing the foundation and its surroundings are proper grading. Hence, the accuracy in this grading job is a serious matter. To achieve the right grading, you have to do all the steps of how to use laser level for grading above. It is important to follow all the rules and wear the safety goggles while working with the laser level. Remain safe while receiving the reading using the detector. There is nothing better but to get the work done flawlessly while avoiding unwanted risk with the laser level.